top of page
Gradient Line - New Teal.png

Can’t Get to the Polls? You Can Still Vote!

If you won’t be able to vote in person in the May 7 primary, either on election day or during early voting, you can still vote. You can either request an absentee ballot and vote by mail, or you can request a travel election board to come to your residence to enable you to vote.

Register to Vote

But first, you need to make sure you are registered to vote, and the deadline for new registrations for the upcoming primary is Monday, April 8. You can register online, or in person at one of the following locations:

  • Voter Registration Office, second floor, suite 206, Hamilton County Government and Judicial Center, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Monday.

  • Any License Branch.

  • Any City or Town Clerk-Treasurer's office.

  • Any public assistance office (such as the Division of Family and Children).

You can speed up the process by downloading the voter registration form and filling it out before you go to a registration location.

Request an Absentee Ballot

Once you are registered to vote, you can request an absentee ballot if you meet one of the following criteria:

  • You have a reasonable expectation of being absent from the county on election day during the entire 12 hours that the polls are open.

  • You are confined to your residence, health care facility, or a hospital due to illness or injury.

  • You are caring for an individual confined to a private residence due to illness or injury.

  • You are a voter with disabilities.

  • You are at least 65 years of age.

  • You have official election duties outside of your voting precinct.

  • You are scheduled to work during the entire 12 hours that polls are open.

  • You are unable to vote at the polls in person due to a religious holiday.

  • You are eligible to vote under the "fail-safe" procedures in 3-10-11 or 3-10-12.

  • You are a member of the Indiana National Guard deployed or on assignment in Indiana, or are a public safety officer.

  • You are a serious sex offender.

  • You do not have transportation to the polls.

Your absentee ballot request must be received by the elections office by April 25.  You can request your ballot in several ways:

  • Online: Use the online absentee application at This application will link to your Voter Registration Signature, and you will not have to print and sign the application.

  • In person: Obtain an application in person at the Judicial Center, Suite 106.

  • Download: You will need to print and manually sign the form. You can then submit it by mail, email, or in person. See Digital Application Files for links and details.

  • Phone: Call 317-776-8476 and request an application over the phone or leave a voice-mail message stating your name, address, and phone number.

You can return your ballot in person or by mail: Hamilton County Election Office, One Hamilton County Square, Ste. 106, Noblesville, IN 46060.

Request a Traveling Board

If you are confined to your home or a care facility due to illness, you can request a traveling board to come to you and allow you to vote. The traveling board will be going out starting approximately two weeks before the election, and the deadline to request a visit is May 6. 

There are several ways to request a travel board:

  • Access your state voter portal, follow the prompts, and select “Request Traveling Board” when it’s an option.

  • Download and print this application, and submit it to the elections office by fax, mail, email, or in person.

  • Call 317-776-8476 and request an application over the phone or leave a voice mail message stating your name, address, and phone number.

However you do it, if you're a Democrat it’s very important that you vote as a Democrat in the primary. There are Democrats on the ballot and they need your vote. 


bottom of page